What is testing?
Testing is a process to check the quality of the product. During software development the developers make many mistakes at different stages and testing helps in correcting those mistakes.
Testing is of 2 ways
1. Manual testing
2. Automation testing
Manual testing is performed by the tester who carries out all the actions on the tested application manually, step by step and indicates whether a particular step was accomplished successfully or whether it failed. Automation testing is validating the S/w Application consistency with the help of third party tools like win runner ,load runner, test director and QTP.
Eligibility of testing
Any graduate can do software testing.
Career in software testing
• Choosing a software testing as a career, If you are a fresher and just passed out from your college or passing out in coming months then it is always a good idea to join software testing.
If you have some sort of previous IT experience and want to switch to software testing then it’s somewhat simple for you. Show your previous IT experience in your resume while applying for software testing jobs. If possible do some crash courses to get idea of software testing from requited institutes
Soft skill for tester
1. Communication skill
2. Basic programming skill
3. Database (mainly SQL) knowledge
Pay scale for test engineers
For fresher’s -> 15k-20k (per month)
For experienced -> 25k-45k (per month)
Mostly MNC will have separate testing team. Apart from this some independent testing companies are there like Maverick systems, ready test go, Think soft , virtusa and Stag.
Market of software testing
India is becoming one of the leading destinations for offshore testing, with market opportunities for the offshore software testing companies currently at $2 billion, and expected to rise to $8 billion by 2008.
The global testing market is estimated to be a $13 billion industry. With the boom of the third party software testing business, the need for quality and trained manpower has become a critical issue in the industry. Software companies, from India and abroad, are investing in establishing centre of excellence to effectively tap this growing market.
The Indian testing market
The size of the Indian testing market is estimated to be Rs 150-200 crore. It is said to be growing at a faster rate than the global average. The software testing arena in India is estimated to require more than 16,000-18,000 professionals within the next one year.
The market for software testers in India is likely to open in a big way due to the following reasons:
• Availability of testers and their use of automated tools.
• Indian software testing companies can offer testing services at a fraction of the cost in most other parts of the world.
• Quality of deliverables.
• Turnaround time for delivery.
Various Roles in testing
The following are some of the roles professionals will play during the course of their career:
Test Engineer (0-2yrs).
Senior Test Engineer (2-5 yrs).
Test Leader (4-6 yrs).
Test Manager (6-10 yrs).
• Test Leads would need to understand scheduling, metrics and tools evaluation.
• Managers need to build capabilities in process management, risk management, effort estimation and organization management. Soft skills (strong communication, learning ability, and process and customer orientation) are extremely important.
• Test engineers would need to understand the testing cycle and testing methods and they involve in preparing the test case design, test execution and defect reporting and tracking.
What do companies look for in professionals?
• The ability to follow processes.
• Work on an issue until it is resolved.
• Ability to identify the problem.
• Ability to understand and find a solution to the problem.
• Understanding of test methodologies.
• Experience with testing tools from leading vendors such as Mercury, IBM, Compuware, Segue etc.
• Understanding of the entire test lifecycle, levels of testing, execution, defect reporting and tracking are basic skills required at all levels.
About the Domain knowledge
The testers are expected to have both technical testing skills as well either need to be from the domain background or have gathered domain knowledge mainly for BFSI is commonly seen(Banking Financial Services Insurance).
There are three categories of skill that need to be judged before hiring any software tester. What are those three skill categories?
1) Testing skill
2) Domain knowledge
3) Technical expertise.
While testing any application you should think like a end-user. But every human being has the limitations and one can’t be the expert in all of the three dimensions mentioned above.. User who is going to use your application may be having a good understanding of the domain he is working on. You need to balance all these skill activities so that all product aspects will get addressed.
Nowadays you can see the professional being hired in different companies are more domain experts than having technical skills. Current software industry is also seeing a good trend that many professional developers and domain experts are moving into software testing.
Here are some of the examples where you can see the distinct edge of domain knowledge:
1) Mobile application testing.
2) Wireless application testing
3) VoIP applications
4) Protocol testing
5) Banking applications
6) Network testing
While testing the banking application You should know what are the user requirements in banking, working procedures, commerce background, exposure to brokerage etc and should test application accordingly, then only you can say that your testing is enough .
When you know the functional domain better you can better write and execute more test cases and can effectively simulate the end user actions which is distinctly a big advantage.
Suppose if you don’t have enough domain knowledge about the project then
Try to understand the product as if you are the customer and what customer will do with application. Visit the customer site if possible know how they work with the product, Read online resources about the domain you want to test the application, participate in events addressing on such domain, meet the domain experts. Or either company will provide all this in-house training before assigning any domain specific task to testers.